commissioner photo
Welcome to Kansas Insurance Department

Kansas Insurance Commissioner
Vicki Schmidt

  • Kansas Insurance Department
  • 420 SW 9th Street
  • Topeka, Kansas 66612-1678
  • Consumer Hotline: 800-432-2484 (KS only)
  • Email Us | Phone: 785-296-3071

KS Securities seal
                  Office of the
     Kansas Securities Commissioner
A division of the Insurance Department

website award

Foreign Surplus Lines Insurer Filing Requirements

Initial Filing Requirements

Kansas Statutes Annotated (K.S.A.) 40-246b and 40-246c, provide that insurers may offer fire insurance coverages enumerated in K.S.A. 40-901, casualty insurance coverage enumerated in K.S.A. 40-1102, and/or reinsurance if such coverages are not readily obtainable in the admitted insurance market.

To write excess lines business in Kansas, in accordance with K.S.A. 40-246e, an insurer domiciled in the United States must first:

  1. File with the commissioner of insurance a certified copy of the insurer's most recent annual statement or if domiciled outside the United States, have filed the company's most recent annual statement with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The required annual statement certification must be from the insurance department (or other regulatory authority) where the insurer is domiciled and the certification must be attached to the annual statement. The annual statement must be submitted in the form adopted by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
  2. The annual statement shall reveal a capital or surplus equal to or greater than $4,500,000.
  3. Any insurer submitting its annual statement for review by the commissioner as a prerequisite to offering surplus lines coverages in Kansas must submit a non-refundable filing fee of $200.

Relisting Filing Requirements

Pursuant to K.S.A. 40-246(e), each surplus lines insurer must submit prior to May 1 of each year, the following to remain on the list of Kansas Nonadmitted Insurers:

  1. A nonrefundable filing fee of $200.00.

The department also requests a report of business written. The report must list all Kansas business placed during the preceding calendar year. This information must include the name and address of the Kansas excess lines agent, insured's name, policy inception/expiration date, policy number, and the total premium charged.