commissioner photo
Welcome to Kansas Insurance Department

Kansas Insurance Commissioner
Vicki Schmidt

  • Kansas Insurance Department
  • 420 SW 9th Street
  • Topeka, Kansas 66612-1678
  • Consumer Hotline: 800-432-2484 (KS only)
  • Email Us | Phone: 785-296-3071

KS Securities seal
                  Office of the
     Kansas Securities Commissioner
A division of the Insurance Department

website award

Introduction to Home/Renters Insurance

What your policy covers


Your homeowners policy will combine these coverages:

  • Dwelling - Protects your house, detached garage and storage sheds from fire, hail, windstorm, vandalism.
  • Contents - Protects furniture, clothing, and other personal belongings.
  • Additional Living Expenses - Pays for extra expenses you have for lodging, food, and other items if disaster forces you from your home.
  • Liability - Protects you when you or one of your family unintentionally injures someone or damages their property.
  • Medical Payment - Pays the bills for others injured while on your property.


Your renters policy insures household contents and personal belongings the same as a homeowners policy, but excludes dwelling coverage.

The Shopper's Guide

To use the on-line shopper's guide, follow the steps below:

Step 1) Select your home county. We have published premium charges for every county in Kansas for your comparison shopping. Select your county from the drop-down menu and click "Continue."

Step 2) Select a coverage amount. Amounts assume replacement cost coverage values with wood frame construction and annual premium charge. Amounts quoted may vary slightly from the insurance companies' quoted amounts. Select a coverage amount nearest to the value of your home from the drop-down list and click "Continue." If renting, choose $50,000.

Step 3) Determine your fire protection class. The fire protection classes listed for each company are based on the firefighting capability of a town or city ranging from 1 (most protection) to 10 (least protection). Premium charges will be higher in rural areas for protection class 9 or 10. For your current fire protection class, refer to your existing insurance policy or contact an insurance agent.

Information You’ll Need to get a Quote

To get an accurate quote, you will usually need this information:

  • Coverage and limits you want
  • Description of your home
  • Loss history
  • Square footage
  • Fire and security devices
  • Distance from nearest fire department and hydrant

Questions To Ask

  • How much would I save if I increase my deductible?
  • What is not covered?
  • Is my coverage replacement cost or actual cash value?
  • Does coverage include water damage or sewer back-up?
  • Does the policy cover my jewelry, antiques, or special collections?
  • What other special coverages are available?
  • What proof do I need in case of a loss?

What if you can’t find coverage?

If you cannot find a company that will insure your property, the Kansas FAIR Plan may accept your property.

The FAIR Plan (Fair Access to Insurance Requirements) was created by the state of Kansas to insure property that insurance companies refuse to cover.

Things to know about the FAIR Plan

  • Coverage for you property must be declined by three insurance companies before application can be made to the FAIR Plan.
  • You can apply to the FAIR Plan through any insurance agent who sells property insurance.
  • The FAIR Plan will inspect your property to determine whether you are eligible.

Approval in the Plan is not guaranteed. You do not have a guaranteed right to buy FAIR Plan coverage.