Welcome to Kansas Insurance Department

Kansas Insurance Commissioner
Ken Selzer, CPA

  • Kansas Insurance Department
  • 420 SW 9th Street
  • Topeka, Kansas 66612-1678
  • Consumer Hotline: 800-432-2484 (KS only)
  • Email Us | Phone: 785-296-3071

                  Office of the
     Kansas Securities Commissioner
A division of the Insurance Department

Non-Resident Agent Licensing Application & Requirements

New License

In order to qualify as a Kansas nonresident insurance agent, you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • Be at least 18 years of age.
  • Submit the NAIC Uniform Application for Individual Insurance Producer License in one of two ways:
    • Online via the National Insurance Producer Registry - or -
    • Print out and mail to the Producers Division; 420 S.W. Ninth Street; Topeka, KS 66612-1678. Applicants for a Title or Bail Bond license should indicate the line being applied for under "O - Other" on page 2 of the Uniform Application.
      • If applying by mail, submit a $30 application fee plus $50 license fee (personal or business check, money order, or cashier's check payable to the Kansas Insurance Department).
  • Provide evidence of FINRA registration if Variable Contracts authority is desired.
  • A Certification Letter from the agent’s home state is not required. License status will be verified through PDB.
  • Application forms and fees may be waived for an individual holding a valid resident or nonresident license in this state whose new license is required by a change of domicile. Contact the Kansas Insurance Department for details.

When the license has been issued:

  • Secure company certification. Appointment is required by each company for which business is transacted.

License Renewal

Each nonresident agent may renew the license biennially. The biennial due date is the agent's birth date in each odd year for agents born in an odd-numbered year or each even year for agents born in an even-numbered year. For newly licensed agents, such date shall not be earlier than two years from the date of the agent's initial licensure.

Nonresident agents must send a $50 biennial license fee by the due date. A Certification Letter from the agent’s home state is not required. License status will be verified through PDB as proof of continuing education compliance (PDB Participating State Report at http://www.nipr.com/maps/pdb-participation-map.htm).