commissioner photo
Welcome to Kansas Insurance Department

Kansas Insurance Commissioner
Vicki Schmidt

  • Kansas Insurance Department
  • 420 SW 9th Street
  • Topeka, Kansas 66612-1678
  • Consumer Hotline: 800-432-2484 (KS only)
  • Email Us | Phone: 785-296-3071

KS Securities seal
                  Office of the
     Kansas Securities Commissioner
A division of the Insurance Department

website award

Resident Producer Licensing Application & Requirements

New License

License Application Status

Check Status
Click the link above to check license application status.

In order to qualify as a Kansas resident insurance producer, you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • Be at least 18 years of age.
  • Be fingerprinted. See Instructions for requesting criminal background check
  • Submit the NAIC Uniform Application for Individual Insurance Producer License Online via Producer Desktop
  • Provide a clearance letter if you hold a license from another state and are moving to Kansas. A clearance letter is not required if the applicant's former state of residence participates in the NAIC PDB (PDB Participating State Report).
  • Provide evidence of FINRA registration if Variable Contracts authority is required. (Series 6 or 7)
  • Pass the appropriate license examination.

 If you are unable to complete the Online Application, a paper application can be found here.

When the license has been issued:

  • Secure company certification. Appointment is required by each company for which business is transacted.

License renewal

Each resident producer may renew the license biennially. The biennial due date is the producer's birth date in each odd year for producers born in an odd-numbered year or each even year for producers born in an even-numbered year. For newly licensed producers, such date shall not be earlier than two years from the date of the producer's initial licensure.

Resident producers must submit proof of continuing education by the biennial due date.