Kansas Administrative Regulations
Agency 40. Insurance Department
Article 10. Firefighter’s Relief
40-10-6 Firefighter's relief associations; purchase of insurance; 24 hour coverage.
(a) Except as
provided in K.S.A. 40-1707(b), 40-1707(c)(1)(A) and 40-1707(c)(1)(B), and its
amendments, any insurance for 24 hour coverage which is paid in part by a
firefighter's relief association from funds paid to it by the commissioner of
insurance shall meet the following conditions:
(1) Each policy shall be purchased, owned, and held by the firefighter's relief association.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (b)(4), each policy shall name the firefighter's relief association as the beneficiary of the policy. The policy shall not contain a provision which would permit the beneficiary to be other than a firefighter's relief association.
(3) Except as provided in subsection (b)(4), the insurance policy shall provide that each indemnity shall be paid to the firefighter's relief association.
(b) Where individual members of a firefighter's relief association desire to have their dependents insured under a group or franchise accident and health policy issued to the association:
(1) Dependent's coverage shall be evidenced by endorsements attached to the policy.
(2) The association shall have authorized the addition of coverage for dependents to its policy.
(3) The cost of coverage for dependents shall be paid by the individual firefighter. Firefighter's relief tax funds cannot be used to pay for the coverage.
(4) The endorsement shall provide that benefits under the endorsement for dependents shall be paid directly to the firefighter who has paid for them or to another beneficiary of the firefighter's choice. The association shall not be a beneficiary.
(c) When a firefighter's relief association purchases 24 hour coverage for its members, each individual member shall pay that portion of the cost (premiums) which is beyond ``on duty'' coverage. The contribution by the individual members shall not be less than 15 percent of the total premium for this coverage.
(d) K.S.A. 40-1707(c)(1)(A) and 40-1707(c)(1) (B), and its amendments, shall be applicable only to group term, group permanent or individual permanent life insurance contracts.
(Authorized by K.S.A. 40-103, 40-1707(g); implementing K.S.A. 1984 Supp. 40-1707; effective Jan. 1, 1966; amended Jan. 1, 1968; amended May 1, 1975; amended May 1, 1979; amended May 1, 1985; amended May 1, 1986.)